After a rather stressful morning I sat down recently to a much needed coffee in one of those lovely, trendy cafes where I’m never quite sure if I fit in because I’m not tapping away on an Apple Mac or if I’m lowering the average age by five years. It struck me there and then just how much I love coffee. I’m like actually in love with it. I drink it every day, several times a day. I go to bed looking forward to my morning cup of joe. People rave about tea but I just don’t get it. Coffee all the way. When I got pregnant I went on a mission to find the best tasting caffeine free coffee so that I could still partake (I didn’t get morning sickness but my word did I suffer with caffeine withdrawal when I had to go cold turkey overnight).
To that end here is my little ode to the dark stuff and why it is so bloody brilliant:
- The wonderful smell. Who doesn’t love the smell of fresh coffee wafting through the house, or when you first walk into a café tantalising you before you take a sip.
- It wakes you up. After a night reluctantly partying with the toddler at 1am, 2am, 3:30am and 4:36am when you know you have a really important presentation to give to really important people at work in a few hours, a cup of coffee in the morning defibulates me back into functioning mode (not too dissimilar to the scene in pulp fiction when John Travolta stabs Uma Thurman in the heart with an adrenaline shot) and I am able to prepare myself for a day at the office.
- It gets you out of the house. Friend: “Do you want to meet for coffee?” Me: Coat on, Willow in the pram, out the door before the sentence is finished. When the only conversation you have had that day is with a toddler who is more interested in putting random shiz in the washing machine than talking to you then the offer to go and sit with a hot coffee and maybe cake and a human to talk to who won’t try and wipe their nose on your sleeve is an offer never to be turned down.
- Coffee “makes” me buy nice mugs. I therefore enjoy the experience more and feel fancy drinking out of the posh cups.
- It’s portable. Paper cup, plastic cup, travel mug whatever your choice you can take your lovely coffee with you wherever you go. (OK I realise that technically all drinks are portable but it’s frowned upon to cart a demi carafe of merlot, indeed my second favourite drink, to baby group at 9am)
- You can put booze in it. Baileys coffee anyone? (please drink responsibly – only one bottle to be consumed at a time).
- Come to think of it you can put it in cake, ice cream, chocolate…. I’m that one person in the world who likes the coffee Revels. Send them all to me!
So that’s why I heart coffee and long may
our love affair continue.
Do you love a particular food or drink? Leave me a comment to let me know what it is and why you heart it so much.